Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Starbucks Veganized: Marble Carob Loaf

Calvin, Jordan and I have just moved to a new apartment building called Sugar Creek Village. In my mind I am calling it Stevia Creek Village, but nonetheless… My long time friend Perrie lives in the next building over and is a strict vegan. I decided to convert a favourite recipe so that she could enjoy a slice.

Sadly, due to lack of ingredients in the new place, my final product does contain eggs and milk so unfortunately I can’t share this batch with her, but I had already succesfully converted the recipe in theory so here is a Starbucks copy cat recipe I swear by, in a vegan version:

Ingredients:

* 1/3 cup vegan margarine
* 1 cup raw sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 2 cups flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 2/3 cup almond milk
* 3 Tbsp ground flax in 3 Tbsp water
* 1 ounce unsweetened carob chips, melted
* 2 tablespoons hot water
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Preparation:

Preheat to 350.
Cream margarine and sugar together. Add vanilla. Add flax and water mix.
Mix flour, salt and baking powder together.
Alternate adding dry mix and milk to wet mix until everything is smooth.
In a seperate bowl mix carob, water and soda. Add 1/2 the batter and mix.
In alternating spoonfuls, add white and carob batter to a greased loaf pan. Using a fork, whirl around to make a marbled effect.
Bake one hour, five minutes.
Serve with vanilla bean coconut milk ice cream.

To make this gluten-free use Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Baking Mix!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home