Monday, December 12, 2011

Baby's First Foods

Oliver is the following things:

Four months old.
Hungry every hour.
Trying to grab food from my hands/ fork/ plate.
Waking up to eat more during the night.

I honestly wanted to wait until 6 months to start him on solids but he is showing a lot of signs of wanting to start asap! Before I jump into anything, I have some research to do.

Conventional knowledge and recommendations tell us to start with a brown rice baby cereal. Easy enough, it's simple to change the consistency, relatively low risk for allergies, and seems easy to digest... but new sources say there's a better way to go.

I'm now reading about how an infant's digestive system is not suited for grains yet. Not for a while. They say fattier foods like egg yolk, coconut oil, butter and animal livers are perfect first foods.

As I'm still in the beginning of my research I don't want to claim to know much at all about this. So, what's your opinion?


http://mamaandbabylove.blogspot.com/2011/01/raw-egg-yolk-for-babies.html
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/right-way-to-feed-babies/
http://www.babyledweaningblog.com/2011/02/22/annelieses-first-food-egg-yolks/

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At December 12, 2011 at 8:09 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I've read too much bad on starting babes before 6 months. It's hard on their tummies since their intestines aren't built for it yet, puts them at risk to developing allergies, obesity, and a lot of pedi's believe feeding a baby solids wont help with sleeping through the night, either! Just my opinion. You gotta do what you think is best for Ollie though!
kayla

 
At December 12, 2011 at 9:56 AM , Blogger Selena said...

There soooo much info out there! I was there 4 months ago and waited until a week shy of 6 months. Started with simple fruits & veggies and decided to try brown rice cereal after 2 weeks... well, we ended up in the emergency room. I gave him a store bought cereal and it had traces of milk in it. ER Dr. told me that fruits & veggies was smart and to make my own cereals but to introduce it slowly mixed with breastmilk (or formula) or fruits for easy digestion.
I guess every baby is different. I started my first baby at 4 & a half months with no problems.
I guess you just need to do what's right for your own little one. Trust your instincts. You know your baby best :)

I also found really great info on- http://blog.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/ Super awesome blog/website that saved me lots of time and searching.
Good luck with your research :)

 
At December 12, 2011 at 4:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started Isaac on veggies when he was six months - but he had crazy reactions so I backed off and continued to breastfeed exclusively until he was almost one. Babes don't need ANYTHING else before a year. Then we returned to veggies and meat...a bit of fruit (I have major concerns with sugar) and grains were the last thing we did. I do find them to be very hard on the system and cause a lot of inflammation.

Like everyone else said, you need to do what is right for you and your Oliver. I do think if you want him to eat solids sooner than 1 year, that fats and protein are the way to go - they will give him all the good stuff he needs and the fats will help satiate him through the night.

xoxo
Debbie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home