Thursday, May 16, 2013

Young Gardener Videoes #4 and 5 and Garden Update!

Oops. Did I not post THE YOUNG GARDENER #4: Rain barrels video?

Here it is!


And while I'm at it... here is #5: Planting!



As you can see, I have the garden in full force! I'll try to list what I'm growing this year but honestly, it's not easy to remember without standing out there.

I am growing:
  • Tomatoes: 3 red varieties, 2 green varieties, 2 cherry
  • Cucumber: straight eight and 2 pickling types
  • Peppers: bell, cayenne, banana
  • Herbs: stevia, mint, basil, dill, parsley, cilantro, marjoram (how do I use this?)
  • Onions, chives, garlic, green onions
  • Kale, spinach, lettuce mix
  • 5 kinds of beans, 3 kinds of peas
  • 2 kinds of sugar pumpkin
  • 2 kinds of winter squash
  • Zucchini 
  • Broccoli
  • Eggplant
My guess is I'm forgetting at least one thing but I'll update if I remember.

Also, I just realized I don't know where my corn seeds went! Shoot!

Do you have any gardening questions for me? 

Now that everything's planted it's harder to think of what topics to discuss for the YOUNG GARDENER videos. I was thinking: composting, watering, caging tomatoes/trellising trailing plants, maintaining healthy plants, and then harvesting. Maybe if people are still interested after harvest I could show how to seed save some crops, and how to preserve your harvest (like how to can tomatoes, etc.) Would you like that?

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At May 16, 2013 at 4:51 PM , Blogger DDT said...

Yes to composting!!
Would also love to see videos on seed saving post-harvest season.

For future videos on prepping plants, I would suggest more of a visual on the actual seed starting and what they should look like when they start to sprout, during hardening off (what is healthy/not healthy) etc. I know for myself, this is my first year gardening and I have started some seeds indoors and while they started off sprouting really well a few of the varieties have withered and died as time went on. I did run into the same problem last year when I wanted to give it a shot so I am getting a bit discouraged. My end result after weeks of sprouting are verrry thin, tiny sprouts. I've begun hardening them off but am weary that they will hold up until they make it to the ground and unsure if they will continue to survive after the transition. Would love more indepth info on the topic.

 
At May 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM , Blogger Amy Harrison said...

Ah yes - the tall thin seedling. I know it well! When a seedling gets like that it's called "leggy" and it's reaching up, up, up to try and get some sun but what it should be doing is focusing on growing solid roots. Try giving it a bigger container and more sun. If there isn't enough natural sun you could add a grow-light (they aren't expensive at Home Depot, etc)

Sorry it took me so long to reply!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home