Monday, August 30, 2010

Bean Dip

Beans are a nutrient powerhouse. In fact, if I could choose one food to eat for every meal, and quinoa wasn't allowed, I would choose beans. They are a good source of soluble fiber - the kind that grabs bad stuff from your body and makes it leave - as well as water-soluble vitamins, protein and important minerals. I am not as concerned as most about this, but, they are very low in fat. Beyond nutrition, they are delicious, easy to prepare and very versatile. Eat with nuts or cereals for a complete protein.

In classic fashion, I've laid out this recipe in skeleton form so that you can do with it what you wish.

Blend together:
  • 1 cup cooked beans, or approximately half a can
  • 1 - 3 T oil 
  • 1 - 3 T acid
  • 1/3 c nut or seed butter
  • Flavors
I used red kidney beans with canola oil, lemon juice, tahini and garlic to make a mock hummus - but how about trying adzuki beans with sesame oil, rice vinegar, peanut butter and miso? Or Black beans with avocado oil, lime juice, cashew butter and chili flakes? Lima beans with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, walnut butter and basil?
If the dip is too runny, add more beans. If it's too thick, add water or another liquid. You can serve the dip with crackers, cut up veggies or pita.

If any one requests it I can post my skeleton pesto recipe. Now I'll enjoy a red onion and bean burger made with the leftover beans!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home