Monday, November 22, 2010

Angela's Even-Carnivores-Like-It Carrot Lentil Lasagna

This is a meatless and gluten-free wonder that no one can resist. I've been speed texting my sister to give me the recipe since I first heard of its praises and she finally ran me through it this afternoon. If I can understand how to pull it off via Blackberry messaging during her health sci lecture, then certainly you can follow along using this step-by-step picture guide.






First, preheat oven to 350F. Chop and saute a cornucopia of vegetables.







This must include garlic, carrot and tomatoes but could also feature - as ours did - zucchini, onion and yellow pepper.















Best to add the tomatoes last and turn the heat down to simmer. If you don't want to peel and quarter 15 roma tomatoes (ugh, but it's so fun!) then use canned, but buy Ontario Natural Food Coop brand because they don't BPA line their metal tins.


Put on a pot of tea.


At this point add 1 can or 2 cups of cooked lentils. We also added white kidney beans but for simplicity kept the recipe name the same, because who wants to say "I just had the best carrot lentil kidney bean zucchini spinach lasagna!"? Not I.

At the same time (exactly the same time and nothing less... kidding) mix a 250ml tub of ricotta with 1 egg, salt, pepper, and a few handfuls of spinach, chopped. Thin it down with some milk if you may.




Add half a carton of carrot soup to the carrot lentil mixture and take off the heat. Or if you're religiously unprocessed, just blend up some of what you've got for texture purposes. You can salt 'n pepper at this point too.

Purchase a box of oven-ready brown rice lasagna noodles. We use Rixopia but I believe Tinkyada makes them too.

In a 9x13" dish, layer: carrot-lentil mix, noodles, ricotta mix, three times, then add a final layer of carrot-lentil. Top with shredded Parmesan or whatever cheese you have handy. We had a ton extra so we fashioned a mini pan of this treat for me to take to work (go Mom!)

 
Bake covered for 30 minutes then uncover and bake for 15 more.



Thanks Angela!
"Anytime!"

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At November 22, 2010 at 1:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

"Carrot lentil kidney bean zucchini spinach lasagna" reminds me of those crazy cupcakes we made once.
This is also reminds me that I need cooking lessons from you. hahaha
- Perrie

 
At January 24, 2011 at 5:48 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This looks really good. I'm vegan so can I leave the ricotta cheese out and use something else? Is this for binding purposes?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home