Thursday, September 29, 2011

Vegan Homemade Peppermint Patties

I was desperately craving peppermint patties but couldn't help but recall my promise to be dairy-free (mostly) while I nurse Oliver.

The craving grew to the point that I was madly typing on my blackberry for recipes.

Not a moment later I began ransacking my kitchen for ingredients.

And just like always, my tummy got what it wanted.

So here's the recipe:





1. Melt down 1/2 cup coconut oil with a handful of peppermint leaves over low heat. The steam-deodorized brand of coconut oil may work best, but mine isn't and I thought the flavour was great.
2. Continue warming for 5 minutes or until oil has absorbed the mint flavour (don't boil). Fish out the leaves with a spoon and discard, or make into tea.
3. Add 1/4 honey, or agave, or raw sugar, or a tsp of stevia concentrate (haven't tried this recipe with stevia, might be gross) and stir to combine.
4. Leave in the freezer until barely frozen. It should still be workable. Depending which sweetener you use you may want to check on it every once in a while and stir it to keep the consistency.
5. Using a spoon scoop out small balls and place on a baking sheet or piece of parchment. Push down with the back of the spoon to flatten into discs.
6. Put the mint oil patties into the freezer.
7. Melt down about 1/2 cup vegan dark chocolate. Don't over melt/burn.
8. Pull the mint patties from the freezer and one by one dunk them in the warm chocolate, and place them back on the sheet.
9. Let re-freeze. And serve!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home