Monday, October 29, 2012

Beauty Secrets from my Best Friends - Part One

One thing you may not know about me is that, while I myself am extremely fashion-handicapped, low maintenance, and let's be honest a little homey, I am surrounded by a fleet of near super-models that I happen to call my best friends. How a v-neck-wearing, eyeliner hack ever scored companions of this calibre is beyond me (it must be because we go to the same church). It's actually a visual phenomenon when you look at things like my wedding photos where I'm standing in all my bridal gown, hair-extensions glory, and the five girls next to me are like "Canada's Next Top Model".

You've already heard from a few members of my family, and some of my friends (Ashley, Alexis...) but now you're about to meet some more of my friends, as they each share a beauty tip with you.

The first one is Jill Butler. I first heard of her on the day we moved in to our new house in North London. My roommate Jordan said he'd met a nice girl and I thought: she must be pretty nice if she's inciting this type of notification. (It was the first time in like 7 or 8 years of friendship that he'd told me of a "nice girl".) One thing led to another and they got married last month. Jill has formal education in the beauty arts and if you saw her make up on her wedding day you'd be floored. Here are her tips!


My favorite part about integrating natural products into my beauty routine is that they’re inexpensive, easily accessible (most stuff is probably in your pantry!), and free of harsh chemicals and preservatives. Here are a few natural products I use and some great tips to compliment! 

Honey

I recently discovered honey in a whole new way. I’ve learned it has amazing antioxidant benefits, antibacterial qualities (it actually draws impurities out of the skin!), and has the ability to replenish moisture in the skin leaving it soft and hydrated.

I tend to break out, especially when my hormones are out of whack. I discovered this brightening and blemish fighting mask to help my skin along. Begin by mixing 1 tablespoon of baking soda and 1 ¼ tablespoons of honey. Layer onto the skin and gently massage in circular motions for a few minutes, rinse with lukewarm water. If you have time to relax, you can let it sit on the skin for up to 30 minutes. The end results give you a bright, dewy and clarified complexion! 

Coconut Oil  

It might seem odd to use cooking oil for the body, but coconut oil does wonders for the skin! There are hundreds of ways to use it (seriously, try Googling it). These are just a few ways I use it:

Moisturizer - Works similar to dry body oil, leaving no oily residue behind. 
Lip care- This makes a yummy lip balm.
Lashes- Combing through lashes at night strengthens and fortifies them.
Blemishes- Can help diminish blemish and prevents scarring.
Razor burn- Relieves itchiness, calms redness, and speeds up healing!

Olive Oil

When you use long wearing foundation, eye shadows and face powders, the brushes you use tend to build up with product as well as natural skin oils. Before cleaning my brushes, I dip them in olive oil and work it into the bristles. Oil tends to break down oils, so when you do this it makes it that much easier to get a deep clean on those grimy brushes. It’s important to rinse thoroughly and do a second “shampooing” to remove any access oil. I just use a gentle clarifying or baby shampoo. Burt’s Bee’s Baby Bee Shampoo works great!

Olive oil also makes a great eye makeup remover for similar reasons. It breaks down the most stubborn of mascaras and waterproof liners with ease. No rubbing or tugging, and leaves lashes nourished. It’s a good idea to cleanse the face after with a mild cleanser to remove any residue.

There are no limits to what you can concoct out of your cupboards. Do some research and have fun planning your next relaxation day!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home