Monday, March 24, 2014

Vegan "cheese" sauce without nutritional yeast

So I'm trying this dairy free thing. 

It's scary to type that because I don't want real life people to be judging my every bite if I end up failing this quest like 2 days in. But I've already declined delicious pizza, ice cream and Mac n cheese, sooo... I'm pretty committed. 

The reason? Dakota has been seeming uncomfortable and I wonder if my dairy intake has anything to do with it. I also have the tell tale dark circles under my eyes that scream "dairy problems" so there's that. 

Well tonight I wanted to try out a dairy free cheese sauce recipe but I ain't no seasoned vegan so I don't have a pack of nutritional yeast flakes on hand. So I came up with this recipe myself. 

Confession 1: it's crazy delicious. I ate a portion of cheesy pasta fit for a beast. 

Confession 2: I totally added chicken and bacon to my pasta. So the final dish was not vegan. But it was dairy free!

Confession 3: I'm about to go eat a Lindor chocolate. (Sorry Dakota.)


1/2 onion, chopped and sautéed 
1/2 garlic clove, minced and sautéed 
1 cup cashews (and/or almonds)
1 cup water 
1 T lemon juice
1 tsp mustard
1 T vegan margarine
2 hot pickled banana peppers
Salt and pepper 

Soak the cashews in the water. Overnight is best but I did only half an hour. 
Sauté the onion and garlic. 
Blend all ingredients together. Season to taste. 
Warm in a pot on the stove or microwave for 2 minutes. 

1 Comments:

At August 20, 2016 at 9:18 AM , Blogger Linda Lou said...

I have been searching for a vegan cheese recipe without nutritional yeast, so I am really anxious to try this. Do you sauté the onions and garlic in some kind of oil?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home