Friday, January 30, 2015

My Ultimate Sweet n Sour Pork

There is only one recipe that I am willing to break all of my dinner rules for. Those rules you ask?
1. Quick to make
2. Quick to clean up
3. Relatively healthy
I mean, I'm okay to break one rule for let's say a really good one-pan brussels sprouts & bacon dish that's going to end up being easy to clean up and totally nutritious. Or I'm cool to make a few too many dishes if the final meal was fast to make and great for our health. Orrrr, I'm fine to throw in a quick meaty pizza every so often that only keeps rule 1 and 2. But breaking all three? How dare I!

Sweet n Sour Pork is the ultimate. It's meaty, it's salty, it's sour, it's sweet. It fills you up and leaves you so happy. It feels like the greatest indulgence (and it kind of is). I like to add tons of veggies to mine so I feel somewhat okay with feeding it to my family.


Ingredients

1 lb pork
1/4 cup San-J Tamari
For batter:
1/2 cup water
2 T flour
1 T cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 egg
Pinch of salt
For sweet 'n sour sauce:
1 cup water
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup raw sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
2 T San-J Tamari
2 T cornstarch

1. Cut pork into small cubes and marinate in tamari* for a few hours. Prepare batter by whisking all ingredients together, then set aside in fridge.
2. Heat a skillet, with about 1cm of oil, to medium high heat. In batches, pick up pork cubes, let soy sauce drip off, and dunk in batter, then place in skillet. Don't overcrowd skillet, this may take a few rounds. Let one side get golden then use a fork or wooden flipper to flip battered pork cubes over and cook until the other side is golden. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and continue until all pork is cooked.
3. Meanwhile, whisk together all sauce ingredients. Place in a small sauce pan and heat until thickened, it should only take a few minutes.
4. Stir together cooked pork, and thickened sauce. You can keep this over a low flame to let the flavours marry. Serve with cooked rice and steamed vegetables.


I love this tamari because it's organic and gluten free! They use a totally natural fermentation process and you can absolutely taste it in the final product: mild yet still rich and salty. I think it makes all the difference in a good Asian dish!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home