Wednesday, May 16, 2012

My baby garden 2012

The soil is prepared, the seedlings are sown and the rain barrel is already in use: it's gardening season!

This year I have a bevy of plants ready to devour. They are as follows:

Purely ornamental plants: euonymus, cedar, maples, hostas, lillies, tulips, grasses, larch, some succulents, lilac

Fruit: raspberries, black raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, rhubarb, watermelon

Herbs, etc: mint, basil, oregano, parsley, cilantro, dill, lavender, Echinacea, rosemary, green onion, chives, garlic, sunflowers

Vegetables: lettuce mix, kale, spinach, carrots (4 types), orach, purslane, snap peas, bell pepper, cayenne pepper, corn, beans (3 types), tomatoes (4 types including cherry), eggplant, broccoli, zucchini, cucumber (regular and pickling), pumpkin, squash (butternut, acorn, kabocha, and another that I can't think of)

Is that everything? I think maybe. I grow a lot, and it might be because I hate money and prefer the bartering system. (If you have a service or item you'd like to trade for fresh, organic produce this simmer do tell.)  This, and the organic beef shipment that our farmer is delivering next week - we'll be eating like kings. Which is great because, we have more news -

Our family will be hosting a Brazilian student this summer through the London Language Institute at which my friend, Chris is an English teacher. We'll have a little experience in their culture as we are spending a week in the mother-land (believe it or not all 4 of my grandparents are South American citizens - I'm the whitest, smallest-bummed Brazilian you'll ever meet) and my 2nd cousin has agreed to host us in Curitiba as we witness my Grandpa marry his fiance, Ruth.

A somewhat shorter travel plan coming up tomorrow is the Overflow convention in Kitchener, which Calvin helps run. His band is also playing on the Saturday night on the tent stage.

Then starting next week he will be playing the role of stay-at-home dad while I return to work.

So, over all lots of new and exciting things going on. Thank you for continuing to read as my posts become fewer and further between. If you haven't already, check out my wildly unfinished homepage - www.amyjoyharrison.com and also http://mybabybump101.blogspot.ca to follow Bethany's journey through pregnancy and home birth!

3 Comments:

At May 16, 2012 at 7:45 PM , Blogger Angela Rose said...

Blown away. I hope I'm close by during the harvest!

 
At May 16, 2012 at 7:54 PM , Blogger Bethany Medland said...

Correction on the baby bump blog, here is the real link: http://mybabybump101.blogspot.ca/

 
At May 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM , Blogger Amy Harrison said...

Thanks - noted!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home