Friday, June 7, 2013

"Energy circle" Cookie Recipe

When I worked at a health food store in our city's hippie-ish village, I was addicted to a gluten free cookie called an Energy Circle. I would eat one a day and they were huge. 

It was around the time that my employee purchase tab started inching over $100 that I made a vow to replicate the recipe. 

Energy circles are soft but crunchy. Salty but sweet. With specks of sesame seeds and a strong hint of maple syrup flavour, studded with an apple butter centre. These ones were made with brown rice flour. 

Today while reading Gwenyth Paltrow's cookbook My Father's Daughter I saw a picture that looked awfully close. 

A few modifications later (I substituted whole wheat flour because it's what I have on hand, used pecans, and reduced the recipe to a quarter in case it was horrible) -- I am wowed! I have made my own energy circles!

Amy's Psuedo Energy Circle Cookies

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup crushed pecans
1 tsp go-mashio (I make mine homemade, want the recipe?) or 1/4 tsp salt and 3/4 tsp sesame seeds
1/4 cup maple syrup 
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Jam of your choice

Preheat oven to 350. 

Mix all ingredients except jam together. Form into small balls - recipe should make 10-12. Place on a lined baking sheet and press down slightly leaving a finger indent. Place a tsp of jam in each cookie's centre: use apple butter for an authentic taste. 
Bake until golden 15-20 min. 

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At July 10, 2016 at 2:59 PM , Blogger Jane Gibson said...

Nothing like energy circles. ): Sad imitation.

 
At July 10, 2016 at 2:59 PM , Blogger Jane Gibson said...

Nothing like energy circles. ): Sad imitation.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home